Making Connections - First Steps

Chantima's Reflection

Throughout the beginning of this journey, my nerves never got the best of me.... until today. My home is directly across a small river from Bkejwanong (Walpole Island First Nation). Our local Sarnia-Lambton Native Centre is approximately three blocks away from my home school. Even though the geographical proximity of my life is convenient to two local First Nations (Bkejwanong & Aamjiwnaang), I was full of doubt as Jen and I pulled into the Native Friendship Centre. Through Gretchen, we were directed to Nancy Peters, the cultural resource coordinator.

Although I was aware of my call to action through the Truth and Reconciliation Commission as an educator, I do not yet feel knowledgeable enough nor comfortable enough to implement learning resources to the students in my class. The starting point, I knew, was to first develop these resources. Taking that first step to making a cultural connection in the community honestly felt uncomfortable. However, it was a step that needed to take place to begin my journey of enlightenment regarding indigenous culture, that I grew up surrounded by, and our true Canadian history which has not been readily available to me in my own education.

Meeting and talking to Nancy as well as the centre's youth coordinators left me with a completely different feeling; one of motivation, hope, and support. When Jen and I shared our goals with them, it was clear through a simple initial conversation that this team was in full support of building bridges throughout our local communities to learn in unison. Taking that leap of faith to build relationships shows your willingness to learn and grow. In order to make progress, you have to be vulnerable and find comfort in discomfort.